12.09.10Dasher and Dancer: Reindeer Antler tutorial

_MG_9915_0994

Pattern

Target is the best, specifically their dollar section. During the Christmas season I would usually scoop up for or five pairs of reindeer antlers from this section. Since they only cost a dollar or so I never worried if they were broken and I let the kiddos keep them in their dress ups year round, tossing them when they broke. Well this year I can’t just walk into the dollar section of Target and oddly enough (totally not odd ha!) there is no where to purchase funky christmas headbands so it was up to me to make them. While in Jakarta I purchased head bands for 15 cents each (yeah I know CRAZY cheap) and picked up some brown felt (which I then accidentally used to help make felt super hero eye masks, so we had to go back and get more ha!). I whipped out the glue gun and went to work.
_MG_9884_0963
First  cut out four antlers. Then I needed a long strip to cover the headband but I only had two medium strips….
_MG_9889_0968
I wanted to make sure the largest antler would stay straight up so I grabbed a cereal box and cut a smaller version of the antler on it. Then I hot glued it to one of the antlers
_MG_9890_0969
_MG_9891_0970
I did not glue it to the matching antler but you could if you feel like it will help make it studier.
_MG_9902_0981
_MG_9905_0984
_MG_9893_0972
_MG_9894_0973
_MG_9898_0977
_MG_9909_0988
_MG_9911_0990
_MG_9933_1012
Sawyer and Finn loved their antlers….
_MG_9919_0998proof
_MG_9932_1011proof
Evie not so much ha! I made the mistake of giving her the bribe BEFORE taking the picture, whoops. For hers I just added a big red bow with wired ribbon.
_MG_9937_1016-2proof
Hope your get a slew of reindeers in  your house!!

25 thoughts on “Dasher and Dancer: Reindeer Antler tutorial

1. Admitted Fabricaholic

Thank you!!! I needed this, after the ones I bought from Michael's fell apart within 10 minutes of being home and on my daughter's head :(

2. banclothing

These are really beautiful pic's. In particular I love the last pic of your girl; you really should be a professional photographer.

3. Tracie and Jessica

Two words- Perfect timing!

The girls got the PB catalog and saw them immediately and wanted them! I even have all of the "ingredients" here to make them! Maybe this afternoon we can make this a fun project together!

Love and Hugs, Jess

4. Betsy

Thank-you! I needed reindeer antlers for my son's Christmas play and could not find any in the stores around here. You saved me!

1. Gavin

I wish this were the case with freelance work and pitrave calls for submission from publishers. Last week they requested three projects that have January 2007 deadlines. And you don’t say no to a pitrave call because it’s takes too long to get on those pitrave lists from publishers. I’ve noticed this change in the last two years…even around Labor Day when things are typically slow.

5. Jody

This is great! My daughter was pretending to be a reindeer just last week, using devil horns for antlers! So happy I found this, so I can make her into a proper reindeer!

6. Elizabeth

Oh goodie! I found it! :D Can’t wait to make them! Love your creativity. I have none so I appreciate when others do. ;D

7. Krissy

A student in my 3rd grader’s class had some surgery due to a tumor on her brain. Praise the Lord she is doing great and will return to class next week. To help ease her transition back, my daughter’s teacher has said that for the first 3 days of next week they will be having a crazy hat day at school (since the little girl will be wearing a hat due to the shaving of some of her hair).
    My daughter saw your post and wants to wear these antlers for her hat one day. Could you possibly email me the pattern?
    Thank you! And you have a lovely blog!

8. Pamela

I love these.. I needed something quick to go with some hand knit red nose warmers. I didn’t want something from the store. I’m going use plastic instead of cardboard to make them last a year or two. My son, girlfriend and granddaughter who like to costume will love these.

9. Janice

Could I please have a copy of your reindeer pattern? My granddaughter is going to be Bambi for Halloween. Thank you so much!!