01.19.11Frosted Pane Skirt

Thank you all sooooo much for the kind words and encouragement with Project Run and Play. Weren’t the entries amazing?!? I am excited to share how to make the Bolero and the fun flouncy skirt!
_MG_1478_2642proof
Today I will do the tutorial for the skirt.
_MG_1490_2654proof
It is sooo easy BUT it is one of those ones with out a set pattern. Believe me you can totally do this without a pattern! Seriously anything that has this much gathering is extremely forgiving.
_MG_1459_2625proof
Lets get sewing!

What you need:
1 yard main fabric
1/2 yard lining fabric
1/2 yard soft tulle
Small length of elastic
Sewing Machine
Scissors
First thing is first. Measure your cuties waist (or if you are like me just make an estimate ha!) Keep that number in mind as you cut. Now you are going to cut a rectangle out of your main fabric. I cut mine so it was 2.5 times the length of Evie’s waste and about 8 inches long. Mine was a little longer because I tiered it. (I pinched the fabric together wrong sides touching and stitched a straight line about an inch from the top, then ironed it down and repeated again an inch below the first.) If you just want it to be plain on top make it a little shorter.
_MG_1259_2500
Once you have your rectangle cut make a large hem across the top.
_MG_1236_2477
Now we are going to cut our second rectangle. This one is going to be gathered. It should be as wide as your first but much longer. Since I was using a vintage mens shirt I had to cut several lengths and sew them together.
_MG_1241_2482
Once you have a nice long length of fabric hem up the bottom. Then sew a gathering stitch all the way across the top and gather it up. Gather until it is the same size as your top rectangle
_MG_1266_2453
Set these two pieces to the side.
Now you are going to cut the lining rectangle. This rectangle should be the same length but wider then the first. Especially when hemmed. Fold both rectangles in half, right sides together and sew up the sides but on the main fabric you will need to leave a little opening to feed the elastic through. You should have two “circles” now.
_MG_1237_2478
Once you have hemmed up the bottom grab your tulle. You are going to cut 3 strips. The first will be the widest with the second being an inch smaller and the third an inch smaller then that.
_MG_1243_2484
Take your thinnest piece of tulle. With the wrong side of the tulle facing you line up the raw edge of the tulle with the hem of your lining. (I did not hem mine and instead used my serger). Pin it all the way around then sew all the way around.
_MG_1250_2491
When you are done flip it down so that the tulle hangs down. Now topstitch what you just sewed.
_MG_1252_2493
Now we are going to attach the medium strip 1 inch up from your first tulle strip by doing basically the same thing. Lay the gathered strip of tulle in a straight line all the way around pinning as you go. Sew close to the edge all the way around. When you were done do the same thing and flip it down and topstitch around. Repeat this process 1 inch up again with your widest strip of tulle
_MG_1255_2496
Once you are done take your two main pieces and with the right sides together line up their raw edges
_MG_1269_2456
Take your lining and slide it up in the middle again lining up the raw edges. The tulle should be poking out the bottom.
_MG_1280_2467
Once you are done pull the tulle down where it is supposed to be. Now grab your elastic (it should be a little smaller then your cuties waste) attach a safety pin and feed it through your large hem.
_MG_1285_2472
_MG_1287_2474
Sew the ends of elastic together and let them slide back into the hem. Once you are done sew up the little opening. Trim up any uneven pieces of tulle and enjoy!!
_MG_1516_2679proof

34 thoughts on “Frosted Pane Skirt

1. Juliette

I am loving this! I will have to see if I can rig up a version for my niece! The flouce makes it!

Nice work! -as usual =)

2. Stef

This skirt is just too cute! I love every part of it. I'm going to have to hunt for a men's shirt to use 'cause I just love the pleats at the top, too. Racking my brain to figure out how I can replicate it from new fabric. Great great job! Can't wait to see what you come up with this week!

3. Staci

Amazing! You are so talented. Your daughter is adorable – how do you pronounce her name (ee-v or ev-ee)? Just curious – love the name!

4. flygirl07

GAHHH! I love this outfit so much and have been waiting for this tutorial since you first posted the outfit! <3

5. Bonnie

Am soooo glad you posted this tutorial! Will be fun using some of my husbands old dress shirts that have horrible ring around the collar. By the way, yours was the best entry and should have won.

6. Demarae Ralph

What I'm wondering is if we can also get a tutorial for that gorgeous bollero that your little one is wearing. It's so cute and just what I've been looking to add to my little girl's closet. Btw, you're just inspiring. Thanks for giving hope to the rest of us.

7. Heather

found you via the challenge as I am a reader of Katy's…..Love your site.

I am going to try to make this for my 13 year old. If it turns out I will send you a picture…if not…we will never mention this comment again ;O)

8. craftedbymama

Thanks for the tutorial…I just posted one that I made for my little girl. Yours came out better, but I am sure I will give it another try, because it is so darn cute.
    Thanks amy

1. admin Post author

Annick, Sorry about that! I pinched the fabric together wrong sides touching, right side out and stitched a straight line about an inch from the top, then ironed it down and repeated again an inch below the first.

9. Annick

Thank you so much for this information! I made the pleated the skirt and the ruffled top. They were both a success and I am now more confident with my sewing skills :) Thank you for doing what you do!

10. Stephanie

i don’t get it….why 2.5x her waist? I’m hoping to make one for my niece but if i do 2.5x her waist ((20″)) then i’d end up with a huge circle of fabric. can you clarify the first measurement for me?

1. Ydjin

I will first wear a skinny belt at the waist of the cape busloe, then wear a white jacket over and pair it with three-quarter length black pants and wear a pair of silver glittering 3 inch heels for a executive look!!

11. Johanna

The skirt is very cute & looks pretty easy to sew…..but I think its the little girl that makes it look the most cute….what a sweet little girl…

12. stacey

Can you please email me the instructions/pattern for the Bolero? for some reason when i click on it, on your pattern page it takes me to the skirt. Oh and I just want to say I LOOOOVE your blog! when i first found it i thought “clothing this cute, I wonder how much the patterns will be” I was so excited that they were free and there’s tutorials ( I had to tell my husband, who rolled his eyes at me lol)

13. Jessica

I love your patterns and tutorials! But I can’t find the bolero tutorial it just takes me to the skirt. Can you post it again or email it to me?? Thank you!!