03.27.11The Butterfly Dress and Headband

PATTERN

This weekend I was REALLY in the mood to make Evie some head bling. I don’t know why, she just pulls them off or out seconds after I wrestle them on her. I think it is because her hair no longer resembles a mullet but actually IS one and until we get near a children’s hair cutter there is nothing I can do but try and hide it under flowers and bows :) I also spent a lot of time perusing children’s clothes sites since her shorts are coming dangerously close to being “bootie” length and we have a cruise to go on in a few months! I got kinda bummed though because everything is sooooo expensive. I hmmed and hawd over ordering Evie  this dress from Elias and Grace that I have been mooning over for a while.

But oh my goodness 50 euro? I decided I would just have to see if I could make one myself. I had some very special fabric sent to me by Jessica over at the Planner and the Procrastinator and the adorable Etsy shop Chirpy Designs that I had been saving and saving and you know dying to use but not wanting to use because then it would be gone? It is called Meadowsweet by Sandi Henderson. Well I busted it out and went to town. I am in love with the dress that came out of it and the resulting headband.
butterflydress5proof
I mixed it up a bit and put the buttons in the front, I thought it was a bit boring without them :) Below you will find a tutorial for the dress and I am thinking I will try to put a pattern up on Monday for those who feel a bit safer sewing with one. If you love the headband, well let me tell you it is soooo easy!
_MG_3881_4866
For the fabric rosette you can follow my tutorial at the end of THIS blog post. For the gathered flower you can follow the fabulous tutorial found HERE on one of my fav blogs Heart Made. I then totally copied her stacked circle flower from her etsy shop and added my own little felt bow on the end. Felt bows are pretty self explanatory but if you would like a step by step head over to my friend Elizabeth’s blog HERE for a tute. I am not going to lie I loved the finished product so much when Evie went to bed I put it on and wore it around for a while.
butterflydress2proof
I just used really thin elastic hot glued onto the felt as the headband. It is less noticeable then stretchy lace and I thought the headband had enough going on without adding anything else. Her orange leggings are of course from my favorite leggings shop We Love Colors. They really are fabulous and have EVERY color you can imagine. Now funny story, I made the dress during morning nap while daddy taught the boys how to bowl on the Wii (yes my boys don’t know how to play Wii a fact I am rather proud of) then I made the headband (two actually the second to debut later) during afternoon nap. I was so excited to have it all done and wanted to take pictures that evening but every time I tried to get the dress on Evie she would throw a MASSIVE fit. I mean lat down and cry onto the tile floor while kicking her legs fit. Then she would go limp as a noodle so I couldn’t get any appendages in the appropriate places. It finally got dark and then I just resigned myself to seeing if it actually fit. I tried treats and books and bribes. Finally I said “Evie? Do you want to go to bed or try on your dress?” She looked at me and said “Bed.” Then picked up her blankie and walked into her room. Yeah. I was totally sad. This morning though a bribe to go walk on the beach did the trick. She was one happy camper!
butterflydress3proof
It was really nice to be alone on the beach front as well. Sunday mornings are pretty darn peaceful in front of our house.
Thankfully Daddy came with me to coax out a few smiles
butterflydress1proof
And after only a short walk on the beach Evie didn’t even cry when I told her it was time to go in…
butterflydress4proof
 maybe it was because I actually said “Do you want to go home and take off your dress?” That did the trick ha! If you would like to learn how to make the dress simply click below and read more! If not I hope your weekend is as full of beautiful things as ours was!

I will try and get the pattern for the two dress pieces up on Monday. I simply free hand drew mine and I promise it is really forgiving because you gather so much of it :) You will also need to make some homemade bias tape. A fabulous tutorial can be found HERE at MADE. I used about a half a yard of fabric for this dress minus the bias tape, which always eats up a ton :(

_MG_3835_4916
You will need to cut two. The front and the back are identical
_MG_3837_4918
(sorry I spelled together wrong)
_MG_3839_4920
It was at this point that I also hemmed the dress, just to get that part out of the way
_MG_3840_4921
Topstitch the bias tape into place
_MG_3843_4924
_MG_3845_4926
Hem to bottom long edges of both butterfly sleeves
_MG_3846_4927
_MG_3848_4929
_MG_3850_4931
_MG_3851_4932
_MG_3853_4934
_MG_3854_4935
The finished dress, headband and leggings
_MG_3857_4938
A close up of the headband for those who might want to make it
_MG_3863_4944
So there you have it! Not to hard right? And come on, how cute is it all together when you get a big cheessers to go with it?
butterflydress3proof

84 thoughts on “The Butterfly Dress and Headband

1. soduel

DARLING! just darling. I love the way the bottom of her leggings bite into her little ankles. All of mine have lost that babyness. So cute!

2. The Winns

Hi Kelly, I love your blog & read it all the time. Thank you for sharing all the patterns and tutorials. I also love the glimpse into your life…what an adventure!

3. Taylor {Sew Much Love}

wow! How is that you constantly outdo yourself?!? I seriously cannot wait to make this dress! I am so doing this asap!

Oh and Evie is absolutely GORGEOUS! I mean every time I see her she just gets cuter and cuter! I wish my Evie would grow more hair so we could do cute pigtails!

4. Jessica at Me Sew Crazy

Love, love, love, love, love, love, love! Bookmarking it immediately!!! Might even move to the top of my to-do list. Have I mentioned how much I love this?

Thank you!

5. J A C Q U E L I N E

Wow! beautiful pictures and adorable dress! Precious precious model! The tutorial was very easy to follow thanks

6. Esther Yu Sumner

I love the way you tell stories. That is hilarious that she chose bed over putting on the dress – though I'm sure you wouldn't agree, at least, not at the time. I'm so glad you're "back." I always look forward to reading your new posts and was sad during your absence. Sleep is important though! This dress is beautiful. You did a great job with the whole outfit, from headband to tights.

7. Stef

You're gonna have to slow down. I haven't done the shirt for me yet and now I've got this dress to do, too! You must be feeling a little better; glad your energy is picking back up! Thanks so much for the instructions – it looks so simple and quick, you've done it again, Kelly!! And Evie is just the cutest little model!!!

8. Soffy

I love this dress! When I look dresses made by you for little girls, looks so simple and easy, but I know that sewing isn`t easy. I will made for my little girl!

I love your blog!
    Love, Soffy!

9. Amyables

SO precious! I'm getting ready to make some new dresses for my toddler for the spring time and I was toying around with an idea for a dress like this. Thanks for sharing! I love the button closure. The headband is adorable :) Maybe I'll make one for myself, because it won't stay on my little monster's head for more than a millisecond :)

10. L2L

Awe, my little girl, 4 years came in as I was looking at this dress and she said I like the butterfly dress….. guess that means I need to go get some butterfly fabric and try my hand at this?!?! Hope she likes mine as much as she likes yours, lol!!!!

11. Melissa

That is adorable! Great job and thank you for sharing! I really want to try this one for my 2 year old. Your daughter is gorgeous and just getting so big.

12. Flutterby Threads

I've been lurking for forever, and rarely comment on any blogs I read, but that dress is so amazingly cute I am about to burst! I'm so going to order that fabric right now (yes I am a big huge copy-cat) and make one in every size for my daughter, lol. And while I've never been into more than small clips in her hair, I think this headband has won me over! I love it! Thanks so much for sharing. I am also so excited for you guys and your next appointment in Paris! How much fun will that be!?!

13. Kristie

This style of dress is so popular right now. Good thing I found a pattern that is similar for some easter dresses.
    The headband is adorable! I need one in pink. Can you put up some not on a head shots?
    Thanks!

14. Kelly

@Kristie, If you click on read more and scroll down you can see one just on the white :) I will hop on over to your blog and also let you know. Thanks friends for all the sweet comments! It is so nice to be "back" in action!

15. The Prudent Homemaker

Just take the scissors and cut her hair. It's the simplest thing. I sit the little ones on the counter with their feet in the sink, looking in the miror, while I cut, or if need be, I have my husband hold a tiny child on his lap while I cut. The best thign about doing it your self (besides not paying someone) is that the child isn't afraid of the stranger who is touching and doing something to her hair. It makes it fairly simple that way.

I have 4 litle girls and 2 boys, and we cut everyone's hair at home (dh cuts mine). You just even out the mullet into a bob, and it's adorable when you're done.

16. Mylinh

This dress is beautiful! Why buy 50 euro dresses when your mommy can make you something so lovely? :)

I'm a new follower, so you may have already answered this before, but I was wondering where you got Evie's shoes. They are so cute!

17. Jennifer

She looks absolutely ADORABLE!!! LOVE the dress and headband!! Great colors and fabric!! So wish I could make a dress like that!!! (=

18. Mollie

Absolutely darling! And…I think I might actually be able to make one:o) I have tons of fabric and two little girls who love wearing cute dresses (and headbands, too)!

19. rebecca

soooo adorable! :) the colors, your sweet girl, the photos, the dress….ok. everything = adorable! :) so happy to have found your blog. Rebecca

20. Kelli

So adorable! I can't wait to make my daughter that dress and the headband. We too, are in the mullet stage of hair growth but if I evened it out, it would be back to looking like boy hair! Too bad my daughter also yanks out any hair accessories I put on her in about 2 seconds as well. That's not going to keep me from making that adorable headband though. Thanks again!

21. Casey

probably a dumb question but when you do the bow do you just glue on the end of the bow ( the part with the triangles cutouts on the end)? Did that even make sense?

22. PearlsForMyGirls

L-o-v-e the dress AND the story! My girls are the same way. M&Ms bribery didn't even work this weekend!

23. Sharon

I made this dress last night and it turned out great!! Thanks for posting!

sweetpeaandpumkins.blogspot.com

24. angie

so so sweet. I'd like to try something like this for my 10 year old daughter, what a perfect summer dress.

25. VintageTwilight

I had my wisdom teeth taken out this weekend and your blog has totally gotten me through. Thanks for all the awesome tutorials and hilarious stories! Have a wonderful day!

26. Mayi Carles

This is totally adorable. So glad my rosette tutorial was put to good use :) Love your spin!

If you ever want to share some of your creations on heartmade I would love to have you! You are so talented!

27. Oh Gorgeous Baby

beautiful dress! Love the headband too. My Airlie would look gorgeous in that. Your Daughter is a cutie and looks like she enjoys being a little model.

28. The Ceder House's

I LOVE this dress. I am new to sewing.. I have a 6 month old- do you think I could shrink the pattern in the PDF version to make a smaller dress? Any ideas? I really appreciate it! Thanks!

29. lmuzinic2000

SUPER CUTE outfit!!!!
    Did you ever create a pattern to post for us who are too chicken to attempt it w/o one???

30. moñik moños y diademas

Hi, very pretty !! I love your pictures, what is the brand of you camera ?? thanks so much!

31. Pingback: Sugar On Top: Childs Chef Hat Pattern » Sewing In No Mans Land

32. Daneilia

My daughter has several store bought dresses like this. It drives me crazy how expensive they are…but I never pay full price I just happened to see them on clearance :)

Anyways, I love the fabric you chose its so adorable. I definitely need to make some of my own. Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful patterns.

33. Briana

Is there somewhere on etsy or such where I can just buy dresses with a similar style? I have been looking and looking for a cute dress like this for my nieces photos but have no clue what to search for (as far as style type). Thanks!

34. Dina

OMG, this is so cute! I am wondering if you managed to create a pattern for this? I would love to try it, but am nervous about creating my own pattern…I am a total beginner!
    Thanks!

35. HolliJo

So I totally just made this dress from your pattern (same fabric and everything) for my little girl for her first birthday. We're doing a butterfly themed party because of this dress. I have to admit this is the first clothing item I've ever sewed. I have no problem making quilts, blankets, etc but for some reason clothes terrify me. Thanks for making it easy to follow, even if I did have several "it's not going to turn out" break downs during the process!! Love all your tutorials and will definitely have to start making more clothes!!

36. Nicole Taylor

Pattern Please!!! I want to make this as a gift but have no way to guesstimate a toddler’s size, since I don’t have children. I love the easy step by step tutorial, but it’s a loss with a pattern. Crossing my fingers that you will post one shortly, since it’s been over a year since your initial post.

37. Pingback: The Dress | inthebeginningcraft

38. Lynne

Thank you so much for the tutorial, this dress is so adorable! Could you please tell me if the pattern includes seam allowances or do I have to add them in?

39. Diana Newman

Hi dear!! I am new at sewing and logging, but I love this tunic, I can just see my little girl wearing this outfit, so I will try to make it tomorrow,wish me luck and stop by and see how t turn out lol, thank you soo much for the tutorial I love your blog you are soo creative, I hope ne day I can sew like you.
    Love from your new Texas fan.

40. Pingback: Five days, five dresses. Times three. | Procrastination Destination

1. admin Post author

Katie, Unfortunately yes I only made it in the size my daughter was :( It is a 2T. You might be able to enlarge it at a copy center just make sure all pages are enlarged the same amount ;) Thanks Katie!

41. Rathi

Thanks a ton for this tut… I learnt from this how to stitch a simple and fabulous frock… I stiched it for my daughter… Thanks again. Love ur post n the way you explained it.

42. Pingback: FREE Girls Sewing Tutorials and Patterns! | Super Stay At Home Mommy!

43. Pingback: PinAddicts Challenge

44. michelle

Hi, this dress looks so fun and easy. In the tutorial you mention that you will be posting the pattern pieces but I cannot find them. can you tell us where they are? I am very excited to make one for my DGD. Your little girl is a doll and I’m sure, is so much bigger by now!

thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Michelle