03.28.12Taking Notes Revisited

PATTERN

There are only two more Sew For Me posts! I have LOVED this series and working with the wonderful girls over at KOJO Designs!

Today I am going to revisit one of my most popular tutorials. The Taking Notes Skirt.

_MG_0498proof

For some reason when I switched over to the new blog it didn’t bring ALL of the posts (grrrrrrrr). But this was a good excuse to repost it with some upgrades if you will. So here we go with Taking Notes Skirt 2

I hope I answer some of the many email questions I have recieved about this skirt :) I promise it is super easy! I absolutely love rugby stripe fabric but have an incredibly hard time finding it in cute colors. I finally decided just to make my own. The fabric pictured above is just wide strips of quilters cotton Orange and Ice Blue Sewn together. I wish I had made the ties as wide as the original. I think with a waist this significant you need nice chunky ties, no?

What you will need:

1.5 yards of fabric (unless you want a rugby strip like mine then you need 3/4 of each to create the main, wasitband and ties)

1/2 yard light interfacing

a small amount of thin elastic

a zipper

2 buttons

The new and totally improved Momma sized pattern can be found HERE, the daughter’s can be found HERE.
Once you have printed our the pattern, cut two from your fabric and 1 from the interfacing. Then cut out your ties. To make the ties you will need 4 long strips of fabric the same width and length. Create your ties by placing two lengths of fabric right side together and sewing all the way around, leaving one end open. Then, pull the fabric right side out. I then iron and top stitch but that is up to you.
_MG_0480
_MG_0481
Take one of the fabric pieces you cut out from the pattern and the one piece of interfacing. Attach the interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric following the interfacing instructions. While you are at your iron, iron up the unfinished bottom of both the skirt top pieces. This will give you a nice finished edge on the bottom. Once you are done lay both your top pieces together, right sides touching
_MG_0435
Now take the two ties you made and slip them in between the two piece of fabric at either end, open edge peaking out the end just for safe sewing :) At this point you should also cut two little lengths of thin elastic, to create button loops. I put one above the tie on the right side and below the tie on the left side. I felt like this gave the most support.
_MG_0482
Once you have them positioned correctly you are going to start sewing. Sew all the way up and over finishing at the opposite edge.
_MG_0488
When the whole process is done you should be left with something resembling this:
_MG_0484proof
Now for the skirt portion. I wanted mine to hit right above my knee and be moderately gathered. I made two pieces and sewed them together simply because of the amount of fabric I had. If you only want one seam you can totally use one long piece of fabric. Either way, place your fabric right sides together and sew up the seams. If you have only one seam put in the zipper now. If you have two seams I actually suggest making these be on either side and cutting a line down the center of the back to insert the zipper. If you have two seams and try to put the zipper in one of the seams you will end up with a side zipper (which won’t work) or have a seam right down the middle of the front of your skirt (yuk!)
_MG_0485
Now run a gathering stitch along the top. I then lined my skirt up with the top to adjust the gathering until it matched.
_MG_0486
_MG_0489proof
Now you are going to topstitch all the way around until the end. When you are done attache two buttons opposite your little loops of elastic
Now all you have left is to topstitch over and across the top of the skirt. This is optional but I really think it makes it look nice. That is it!
_MG_0503proof
It has been requested that I show a few more finished product pictures so here you go:
_MG_0509
the tie and skirt top
_MG_0511
the entire skirt a little closer
The only difference between mine and Evie’s was that I did NOT use interfacing on hers. I did on a second one I made her and I think it looked a little “crisper” if you know what I mean?
_MG_0515proof
and this little lady is BUSY, she has lots of calls to make and friends to keep up with
_MG_0520
I also made her a little hair clippy out of the scraps and the phone distracted her enough to leave it in for a bit!
_MG_0519
Enjoy, and I hope you took notes haaa haa! I am so lame!

32 thoughts on “Taking Notes Revisited

1. Rosie

This is absolutely gorgeous. I am a new sewer and I think I might be able to cope with this. As soon as I am back from holiday, I will be giving it a try. Thank you for sharing.

Really pleased to be a new follower.

Rosie x

2. Rachel

I’ve been wanting to make this since you first posted. Maybe I’ll get to it this time. I was looking through the directions. Are the skirt pieces just two rectangles? You didn’t mention how big to cut them.

3. Cindy

NO WAY! Matching skirt for mama and baby girl? Too much! I love love love it.
    I found you via your Chevron skirt on Pinterest. awesome. I’m about to go back to work and want to make myself some skirts so thank you! If I successfully make some I’ll link back to your blog.
    One question though… That amazing ruffled red top that sweet girl is wearing on the banner up top. I would love that pattern, or did you not make it? :D
    And now… I ‘follow’ you. Which actually is just a nice way of ‘stalk’, isn’t it?
    ;)
    Happy to have found you!

4. Pingback: sewing projects | Pearltrees

5. Pingback: Friday Favorites–Dresses and Skirts « Crafty Staci

6. Mandy

I absolutely love this skirt!
    I am working on a version of it now. I am wondering if the zipper and elastic loops are a new addition from the previous tutorial. Also, I have made my waistband, but it doesn’t lay as flat on me. I guess I will try to find a way to adjust for my body shape. It kind of juts out in front above where my tie would go. Also, it is angled down really far in the back. I may need to put darts in mine. I think I am also going to add a built-in slip layer because my fabric is a bit see-through.

7. Natalie

I love this skirt and really want to make one for me and one for my daughter. I bought fabric today but I was just thinking about the tutorial and had a question. When you say it’s an adult size, approximately what size is that? I want to make sure it fits me and I’m not sure how to adjust the pattern to make sure it will be my size. Any advice?

8. Angella

Hi, I have the same question as Rachel. How big are the fabric pieces for the actual skirt body? Could you tell me in both the adult and baby size? Thanks!

9. Pingback: 15 Free Knee Length Skirt Patterns & Instructions for Adult Women

10. Becky

I am so excited to make this skirt, I have the fabric but after looking at the instructions again, I don’t know how to cut the skirt pieces out? What are the measurements for cutting out an adult skirt?

1. admin Post author

Becky, I simply measured the length from my waist to my knee and then my waist plus a good six inches at least. The more excess the more “fluffy” it will be. Hope this helps! Happy sewing!

11. Tiffany

I just love this skirt, except for one problem…high waisted skirts unfortunately look ridiculous on my short-waisted body. Any ideas to make this same skirt in a lower rise? Would I just make the waist bigger? I know it’s a silly question, but I’m still a beginner sewer :-)

12. Susie

For the child’s skirt, what are the approx. dimensions of the ties, and did you still add 6″ to the waist size? The skirts are adorable and I am making 2 for my granddaughter’s Easter skirts. LOVE how ADORABLE the skirt looks on your darling daughter!! Thanks!

13. Pingback: 101 Simple Sewing Tutorials

14. Pingback: Free Sewing Tutorials for Skirts

15. Erika

I downloaded this pattern, but am having trouble understanding it. What side of the skirt is the “fold” section of the pattern, to which you cut two. I’m trying to understand how this is laid out on the fabric, but I can’t seem to get it. Duh!

1. admin Post author

Hi Erika,
      I am so sorry about the trouble shooting. I believe the fold section you are referring to is either the side of the main skirt or else the center of the waist band. Are you referring to one of the labels on the pattern piece?
      Thanks!

16. Pingback: The skirt I’ve walked away from 5….er, 6 times | deriving mommyhood

1. admin Post author

Krista,
      I am so sorry I don’t know what toolbar you are referring to :( The pattern is also available on craftsy :)

17. Tiffany Dale

What would the measurements be to make an adult size 13/14? Bought the pattern, excited to make one for me and my daughters!

18. Paige

Craftsy says this pattern is no longer available. I wanted to make it for my toddler, is there another place I can get the pattern? Thanks!

19. Cat

I really wanted to make this but your instructions are practically impossible to read. I hope you take this as constructive, I was only try to make the child version and here are some of my issues.

1. you need to specify that your pattern piece is only for the waistband
    2. ” To make the ties you will need 4 long strips of fabric the same width and length.” – maybe give an approximate to the size you cut. 2×12, 3×20, 6×100, 2 inches x waist measurement + 6 inches? anything would help
    3. “I wanted my ties wide and long so I needed to gather the ends so that it would match up with the end of the top of my skirt.” – at this point in your instructions, we have no idea what you are talking about, what “top of your skirt”? How do we know if we need to gather or not?
    4. “While you are at your iron, iron up the unfinished bottom of both the skirt top pieces. This will give you a nice finished edge on the bottom. Once you are done lay both your top pieces together, right sides touching” – ok, I have no idea what this means? “skirt top pieces” does this mean the waistband? I think so. And “iron up the unfinished bottom” do you mean to press up 1/4 or 1/2 or some measurement of fabric on the bottom of the waistband? Also, how do I know which side of the waistband is the bottom?
    5. “Now for the skirt portion. I wanted mine to hit right above my knee and be moderately gathered. I made two pieces and sewed them together” – again, do you have an estimate to the size of this?
    6. “Then I turned the skirt bottom right side out and slid it up into the pocket we created earlier and pinned it all the way around” – did we create a pocket earlier? This is the first time you mentioned this.