05.08.127 Days A Week Skirt

When I was a little girl I l-o-v-e-d wearing dresses. I would wear one every day to school. I love super over the top frilly girly dresses. My mom would take us to this little boutique for easter and we would get to pick a dress and I swear it was one of the highlights of the year. I did go through a fairly earnest tom boy, surfer girl stage in the sixth grade but I think that had a lot to do with the fact that my “boy friend” was an avid surfer. Apparently Evie is following in my footsteps because this girl basically demands to wear a skirt every day. After having a hard time finding ones that are over the top fluffy (don’t get me wrong she would LOVE those) or denim I thought it was high time I whip some up. Right before we left UT I went to one of my favorite fabric stores The Material Girls in South Jordan. I step into that store and go into a frenzy. A sort of panic settles over me. I think this is from being in Timor for so long away from any cute fabric. I kinds of go crazy and just grab grab grab. The fabric isn’t cheap though so I thought the best way to get a little of most of the fabric I wanted was to get Fat Quarters, I would figure out what to do with them later. Welp, 4 months later I turned 7 of them into skirts for Evie. Now she has one for everyday of the week:

When she saw me taking pictures of them she immediately pulled out her favorite and pulled it on:

It is simply a long rectangle of fabric sewn together to make a circle, hemmed on one end, gathered on the other and then sewn to 2 inch wide elastic sooooooo easy!

We just throw on a pair of leggings and a comfy top and she is happy as a clam for the rest of the day. No more sloooooowly removing layers until she looks like a mess.

I love a good compromise!

If you want a complete tutorial you can check it out HERE. The only difference is I attach my elastic by putting right sides together and stitching around the top then flipping it right side out.

26 thoughts on “7 Days A Week Skirt

1. Angela

Adorable. I love Material Girls. My daughter has ballet 2 days a week near there, needless to say, I am a frequent shopper.

2. Holly R.

Perfect timing…I picked up some fat quarters last week without any specific project in mind. I’ll definitely be whipping up a few of these for my little one this week.

Also, I H-A-V-E to know where her leggings and shoes are from! Pretty please?!

3. AZshab

Wow these are too adorable ! i made these last year for my fall collection line and you can check them out on my site ! nice to know people are thinking the same as I !Azshab -Auberjaani.blogspot.com
    -whimsyshomefront.blogspot.com

4. AZshab

-whimsyshomefront.blogspot.com

5. AZshab

-whimsyshomefront.blogspot.com

6. AZshab

-whimsyshomefront.blogspot.com

7. AZshab

-whimsyshomefront.blogspot.com

8. Beth

Any chance you know what collection the fabrics are, especially the blue one and the one your cutie is wearing? These skirts are awesome!

9. Esther S.

I love all of the gorgeous fabric you purchased, and your fun idea to make them into a skirt for each day of the week. She looks so adorable in her little outfit.

10. Juls

wait…what…How did I miss…When did you cut Evie’s hair?? Was this a fashion choice, a sticky food in curls related choice, or your basic girl-cuts-hair-with-scissors-in-bathroom-while-mom-cooks-dinner senario?

11. Anonymous

Hi! Love your blog!!! My sister is married to a foreign service officer as well….I don’t know how you guys do it! Lol!! I love material girls as well!!! I go into the SAME panic/frenzy you do, sad part is I only live in Sandy! Ha! I’m going to make these skirts!! My little girl doesn’t care yet, but I’d like to take advantage while I still have some say! Thanks for the inspiration!

Annisa

12. Rachel

Love this skirt!!! :) Definitely going to be making these for my little mini-me fashion girl when she’s a bit bigger! WHERE are those adorable lace leggings from? Too perfect!!

13. Pingback: Saturday Special {Week 14}

14. piper.

hi! found your blog on pinterest – SUCH cute skirts! i want to make some for my two year-old, but i’m wondering if the fat quarters are wide enough? she is pretty little, but when i measured her waist, it was 21 inches – that’s the width of my fat quarter with the selvage! thanks :)

15. Hannah

I am very new to sewing but was inspired by these skirts – I have been trying to recreate one but am struggling to sew onto the elastic and still allow for stretch. I wonder if I am trying to gather too much material? Do I just use a simple zig zag? It seems so simple and yet is too challenging for a novice like me. Can you offer any tips or suggestions?

Kindest thanks
    Hannah

16. Kem

I made these skirts for my teen with side seams and pockets ( for her cell phone). She loved them and wore them all summer and spring!! Love the idea for toddlers. So cute!!!

17. Darci james

Love this!! I have been wanting to make something cute for my baby girl to wear and this is it! Thanks! Found this on pinterest.

18. Pingback: Don’t be afraid to cut out what’s not working.

19. Pingback: KCW: a 15 minute skirt and 20 minute leggings | nearest the pin

20. Carol

So, I’m sitting here in Dili drooling over this idea and almost fell out of my chair when I read that you also lived in Timor! hilarious. I guess that means I’m unlikely to be able to pop into one of those shops in Colmera and find any of this fabric. Maybe I’ll hit the road clothing markets instead and try my luck! Thanks for posting and I do look forward to someday being in a place with a wealth of diy raw material in the local shopping center :)